Google
 

02 April 2008

I Hate Fine Print, Pt. 1

I hate fine print. That is the thing that will reach out and grab you. Nine times out of ten there is fine print because they are trying to hide from you what the deal really is. Fine print is small print. It is usually the detail that accompanies the large bold dramatic print that was used to entice you to come in for the offered bargain in the first place. I always look for the fine print because I am a skeptic of the advertised good deal, as well as too many examples of the shoddy advertising practice at attempted deception. So I present two examples from recent advertising gone awry.

The first is the latest Subway Sandwich push that is happening in our area. Since Subway is like many national franchises and does its advertising regional, you may not be seeing the same deals advertised in your area. In fact, in my travels I have noticed that some areas will have deals that are better and some that are worse than my home base.

Subway is advertising any regular foot long sub for $5 or less. The mention of foot long and $5 are in large prominent lettering…with an asterisk. The second I see an asterisk I am looking for the fine print. In this case, the fine print is pretty straight forward however small. It states that the sale is on regular subs and does not include double stack and premium sandwiches such as the Feast and Philly Cheese Steak. O.K. fine, I can handle that. I should be able to find something from the remaining list that still makes a fine sandwich and would still constitute a good deal. I should be able to find something new to try instead of the same old choices I make when visiting my local store.

So from the menu board I notice that they are a list for hot sandwiches, a list for cold sandwiches, a list for local favorites, and a list of Premium and Double stack sandwiches. This should be simple. Just order anything that is not on the last list and it should be included in the special. I spy a Chicken and Bacon Ranch, and my mouth salivates as it contemplates what this combination might taste like. I think I will try it and see, but wait. The girl behind the counter is kind enough to inform me that this choice is not one of the ones on special. At least she tells me this before she makes the sandwich giving me a chance to change my order. She goes on to verbally list the other three sandwiches that aren’t included in the special.

I ended up ordering one of my usual sandwiches, the Italian BMT, and because I questioned her I think she left me one salami slice short. It was busy so they were in a hurry to get us out the door and my sandwich felt a little lighter packed than normal. Also the soda machine wasn’t working so they had to fill drinks behind the counter as well. My normal mix of lemonade and Sprite wasn’t to my usual ratio. I can accept most of this because life happens and none of this was singularly bad but the accumulation of all these little things made for a special deal that wasn’t all that special anymore.

That’s the thing about expectations, good or bad we all have them as we head into an experience. It is the actual outcome when compared to the expectation that determines if the experience was pleasurable or not. On a scale of one to ten, if you are expecting a ten, you will be disappointed with anything less. Likewise, if you are expecting a two and walk away with a three you will feel like you scored a win even if it was still just a three.

If that didn’t just sum up a prime business lesson I don’t know what will. If you promise more than you can deliver or are willing to deliver you will leave customers with a bad taste in their mouths. If you want your customers coming back again and again then give them what they expect and nothing less. If you give them more than they expect you are a hero. You must at least meet expectations if you are going to maintain a positive business relationship with your customers.

On to part 2.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farr West.

No comments:

Post a Comment