Google
 

07 September 2009

Still looking for my MP3 player

Every so often I throw caution to the wind and decide to look for a fairly decent MP3 player, and every so often I give up in frustration because what I want is not out there.

I went looking again this last week.

I still don't have one.

All I want is a simple player that is big enough to handle my files (not even all of them as I have many). Music playback is basic and I tend to think that all players should succeed at this to some degree or another but then quality comes into play and from what I have read and researched so far, headphones make a huge difference with some users spend up to three times as much for aftermarket headsets as they do the player they use them on. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If it had the ability to play movies that would be great, a bonus even. My expectations on this front are rather low however. Screens are small, resolution is limited and you just aren't going to get that theater experience in a noisy or crowded environment. Also, again from my research, there are many users that are having trouble loading, formatting, configuring or just plain making movies compatible to their players so some don't even bother with them. That is a shame.

I hear a lot of people use theirs for tuning into podcast and downloading TV shows and such. This sounds fabulous if it works as advertised but again I see compatibility issues arising so I don't want to get my hopes up to high.

These are all pretty common functions for which most users get MP3 players for. I however want something more. I want to listen to audio books with an MP3 player. In order to do audiobooks well an MP3 player must do three things, be compatible with various audiobook formats, do bookmarking and have variable playback speed.

There are many different audiobook services and formats. Not all formats are supported by all players. Some are very selective on what they will and will not play. Check this out before buying a player or signing up for a service. My intention is to hit the library and check out CD books (don't read that out loud it sounds bad) then download convert them to MP3 files which should work on about any player. I do belong to overdrive but haven't gone beyond downloading and listening to the books from my computer.

Bookmarking allows you to stop, do or listen to something else then comeback and start up where you left off without having to spend a lot of time searching all over for your place. Depending on how the books files are set up you can waste a lot of time looking for where you were rather than listening to your book.

I am a big fan of books on tape. Of course books on tape became books on CD and now books on MP3. It is a great way to get some 'reading' in while doing other task like driving to work, doing chores around the house, or going for a walk. I also find that I am able to get through more material this way than if I try and find a quiet moment or two to sit down and physically pick up some print. My eyes aren't what they used to be and so my reading speeds have slowed somewhat, and this is where my other desire comes in.

Through the miracle of technology, I have a cassette player I found at Radio Shack some years ago that has the ability to speed up the playback while adjusting the pitch so that you can listen to a recording at twice its normal speed and it still sounds like a normal voice. Some cassette players that did this would only go 15% faster and then sounded like the chipmunks where talking to you. Even Windows Media Player after about version 9 has a speed playback function built in that works pretty well and has helped me cover many a book at half the time it might have. Windows Media Player can playback up to 200% speed with it sounding pretty even and smooth. Speeds faster than that start dropping or clipping sections, though you would think that with the speed of today's computers they could fix that, kind of like getting higher frames per second playback on video. Some audio I really would like to go faster than 200% while there is some audio that I have to work to keep up with at 140-150%. The faster you go the more focused you get. Sometimes you really have to pay attention and that helps.

I really like speed-ed up playback. Some readers are just slow and need to be pumped up. Some files you want to cover more than once because there is so much to absorb and repetition is a great way to improve retention (think textbooks). Some sections really drag or get repetitive and could use some form of speed reading technique. For example, you don't read the lineage section of who begat who the same way that you read the Lord's prayer.

I have about worn my cassette player out and that is why I have been looking for a replacement. Might as well go modern and get and MP3 player. Lighter, carries more data, easier on batteries, plugs into stereos easier and should just be an all around better solution to the problem at hand. It sounds like MP3 players were made with me in mind.

Except they weren't.

I am having the hardest time finding finding any mention of this feature on all but the smallest handful of players and even then I have to dig into the fine print to find it. Most players do not have variable speed playback. They just don't.

I have been to hundreds of web sites and read thousands of comments only to find a few select references on out dated posts. I have been to manufactures web sites and submitted questions directly when the helps and site searches produced nothing only to be told by their reps that none of their players offered that ability.

Apple Ipods do have this capability for files in their audiobook section but they only have three selections, slow, normal and fast. Fast from what I can gather is 140% which is better than nothing but not what I was hoping for. If I went with Apple, I would pay too much, wouldn't be able to play WMA windows media formatted items, and would pretty much be locked into the Apple market. They maybe the standard but they haven't convinced me their better.

Microsoft Zune has no speed control on current models and like Apple they are overpriced, and proprietary in nature preferring that you only play in their playground and spend money at their store. As I have said before, I really like Windows Media Player though it is buggy and I have had to learn some work around's when downloading CD's, I find myself having a hard time trusting anything with the Microsoft name on it due to past experience with less than trouble free software. Windows Media Center is a great disappointment and after three attempts at Flight Simulator and nothing closely resembling the demonstration models you think I would learn.

So with the two biggest names not even in the running there are many other names that stand out as having better products and hopefully the right extra feature but sadly no. There is mention that some older products singularly had this ability but short of picking one up used on E-bay they are not current and would not come with buyer protections like a warranty. This is a must. In my research I have noticed one common thread and that is that these tools are not all that dependable. Many users are well beyond their first player with many telling of their current player being the fourth or fifth one. Some have multiple players and use them for different things depending on their fancy (one for jogging, one for books, one for this music vs. that). There are also many, many reports of buying a player and not having it work right out of the box. This means returns and that means I need to make sure and buy from a reputable dealer.

Through all the searching I did come across one potential manufacturer that might give me what I need, Cowon. Cowon has a pretty function web site were you can download the manual and read up on the model you are looking at before you buy it. I have looked a three or four manuals now and they all indicate that they have variable speed playback. Not only variable speed playback for audio but for video as well, how cool is that? Some models indicate they will go to 150% while one indicates 200%. Not only that, but they have a status bar to show how far into the track you are and you can even use that bar to fast forward or return to a spot in the file you are listening to. It sounds like some one that designed their players actually uses them. Did I mention they have bookmarking?

So where do I get one? I don't know. For some reason, no one is carrying them anymore. I thought Walmart or Target or Costco or Best Buy did or would. Not even a mention of them in Overstock.com. No luck. My search on Amazon got confusing (it is hard to tell where their store ends and the sublet stores begin). Also the pricing for a player that doesn't have many outlets seems to be a little high to other comparable units.

I know I am getting picky but I am not going to spend Apple overpricing dollars on a company that seems to be loosing it's market presence and doesn't have the capability to service their products without the use of overnight shipping. With all the trouble I have read about from users that have had to have returns or have had to by replacements before a year is up, I am hesitant to lay out too much coin for an unproven product no matter how much I want one.

And I do want one.

I do want one but I can't prove that it will do for me what I want it to. I can't prove that it can't. These are the things that drive me nuts. Analysis paralysis. Risk/Reward. How bad do I want one? I let you know, but for now...

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farr West.

No comments:

Post a Comment