Google
 

05 September 2016

When do you get to it all


I talked about e-mails and keeping up with all the ones that find their way into my inbox, but what about all the other sites out there vying for your time.  Of course there are selective blogs that must be written and read but what about Facebook, and LinkedIn and Twitter, and Snapchat, and Pinterest, and Instagram and all the other sites I don't even know about.

It seems that we have all been told (and especially those in business) that we need to have a presence in all of these sites all over the whole world wide web.  I say WRONG.

The more I have learned about different sites a couple of things stand out.  Some sites are better suited for some people, businesses, cultures, types etc. and some are not.  Find the one that best matches your clan, with who they are and who you are and where they are and where you are and go with it.  That is because of the second thing I have seen.

You will spread yourself too thing and not be able to be in all places at all times.  I am sad to say I am a bad example of this.  I wanted to learn about the other sites and so went on an expedition only to come back to base to find that no one had been keeping the place up.  I was gone for many days, weeks, months between entries in my blog while I was off making entries elsewhere.

I am not the only one with this problem.  Many businesses have tried to put there brand all over the web only to have the site one would go to have the last entry be months and sometimes years ago (outdated and no longer relevant).  If they had multiple sites they might have tried to produce one entry and copy and paste it to all the others and it would leave me asking why bother with the others.  Or, the business had grown beyond a solo player and so different teams would maintain different sites only to end up with a different persona at each of the different web sites.  (Big corporate has a real problem with this even though they think they are just marketing differently to various niches.  Maybe so but it feels more like sending mixed messages.)

So my word of advise for now is to produce our product and placed it where it belongs.  If you produce a different product and it belongs in a different place then so be it.  But don't spread yourself so thin that you can not support who and what you are with what you have.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farrwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment