Google
 

19 October 2016

Way to go General Mills


I just saw a commercial for General Mills that got me excited.

"Do you mean the same General Mills that makes famous cereals such as Cheerios, Chex, Wheaties, and Lucky Charms as well as others?"  "Do you mean that General Mills?"

"Yep, that General Mills."

"But why would a commercial from General Mills get you excited?"

"Well, let me tell you."

The commercial starts off by telling you that whole grain is the first ingredient in all Big G cereals and although that sounds like something that should be noteworthy if you read the nutrition label you would expect there to be a greater level of dietary fiber listed and it seems pretty low by comparison.  So no that is not the part that got me excited.

It is the next thing they mention that really got me excited.  Their cereals contain No High Fructose Corn Syrup.  O happy days.

I still think that HFCS or high fructose corn syrup is slow poison that creates long term negative health impacts that we still don't fully understand but that we will pay for in the years to come.  There are a lot of web sites out there that discuss HFCS, and if you haven't run across the topic you might find it an interesting research project, but from what I have seen I have serious concerns about it and have personally taken to reading ingredient labels and actively avoided foods many times because of the presence of HFCS.

And now to see yet another major company using the tag of "No HFCS" as a way to promote their product makes me think that the movement is gaining some traction and is moving forward.

There are other companies that have seen this as an opportunity and others will follow.  Whether this is an honest effort on behalf of their customers' welfare or a marketing ploy like being a 'green' company I don't know but I will take it.  I really hope the movement will continue to grow.  To me this is bigger and more important than peanut allergies, glutton scares and organic labeling.

General Mills I hear you and applaud you.  Hey Coke and Pepsi and all you other soda makers, are you listening?  It is time to get real.  Hansen's Soda is the real deal.  I know Pepsi has made throwback soda and I look for it.  To get a real Coke you have to look for an import from Mexico at three times the price.  Really?  It is time to get with the program.  If for no other reason than that real sugar just taste better than laboratory created substitutes that slowly kill you.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farrwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment