Google
 

02 June 2017

Thinking bout cars and bikes again


I have been looking at cars and motorcycles and bicycles a lot lately.  It must be my time of the ...

I have not had nor ridden with any regularity motorcycles but they have been frequent on my mind.  I knew this time would come when I sold my old bike.  It was a nice bike but it had been sitting for a long time and would need some serious attention to get it road worthy as well as trust worthy.  It was a tripping bike but just couldn't compete with the tripping car that came into my life.

The car was enclosed meaning no bugs, or weather issues.  It carried more stuff, which means I could take more with me or pick up more along the way.  It had a stereo which means that I had some accompaniment me when I was singing out my rock anthems.  It had air conditioning and a heater to give me better control over the elements.  It had a bigger tank and got better mileage meaning I could go farther without worries.  It was also more comfortable when it came to going farther so I did.

All of those things made it easy for me to find myself spending more time with the car than on the motorcycle.

But that does not mean I didn't still like the motorcycle.  It just means that for long trips the motorcycle played second string.  At this point, long trips would involve multiple 500+ mile days across many state lines.  I could do one 500+ day on the motorcycle but would be walking funny the next.

The motorcycle I had was a full dresser meaning side bags and fairing.  It was a few years ago and not near as fancy as the bikes you see today but it was a dream bike come true for me when I got it.

Sadly a big bike takes a little more effort to take out and ride around with though some might argue that fact.  Before the big bike, I had an entry level bike that was wonderful and I would ride it every bit as far as I would the big bike yet it was light and relatively easy to take out at a moments notice.  It had a windshield, highway pegs, and a back rest with luggage rack.  All the needs were met.

And that is what I have been thinking about.  I don't need a big bike.  I don't think I would get the use out of it that I would like to.  When it comes to big trips, I have a big trip car that fills that role nicely and then some.  What I want is a fun, simple, run around bike that doesn't take a lot of thought, cares or worries.  Doesn't cost a lot to own or operate.  Gets great gas mileage, (not many bikes do sad to say).  And still has the fun factor.

All bikes have a fun factor. Period.  Some are designed to deliver that fun in a more focused way.  The motorcycle business in America has become overly focused on about three different types, dirt, cafe racer, and over-sized V-twin cruiser.  That leaves a lot of us with too little choice.

I am going to visit this topic some more in the days to come so you are forewarned.  I told you that it has been on my mind a lot lately and it is time for me to get it out.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farrwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment