Google
 

25 November 2016

Best of Black Friday wishes


Happy Black Friday  to all that are out there braving the madness.  I must admit I have been brave in years past and rallied myself out of bed in the wee hours only to find that the things I thought I needed were long since gone or had a line a mile long with angry looking customers wrapping themselves around the various packaging and licking the box to make sure no one else will touch it.

I remember one store offering orange juice and donuts for the first ones there but by the time I got to the table it was all crumbs and bottom of bottle drippings.

In the past the truly committed would go in teams and tackle the various stores based on opening times and carry around all the ads they had been scouring the day before powered by the feast of Thanksgiving day.

Now people still work in teams but use strategy and cell phones to stake out the prizes of the day.  And if cell service is unreliable because of the load placed upon them then resort to walkie-talkies, the gift of Christmas past, to come to the rescue.  They will think nothing of leaving their 5 year old to guard one of their finds while they go racing off to capture another temporary treasure.  Sadly, some shoppers are not put off by the 5 year old guard ply and will acquire the item for themselves since their 4 year old is much more deserving.

Sometimes I have been lucky and some of the smaller, not so sought after items were still available even if it was three hours after the initial rush.  It might just have been a B movie DVD but I saved two dollars.

Now a days I find that I really don't need anything that badly so if I decide to go out it is usually to do a little people watching and taking in the energy of the moment while trying not to get trampled.  If I happen to find something worth picking up then that is a bonus. If I don't expect anything, I won't be disappointed and anything above nothing can be a happy dance moment.

I won't let myself be emotionally tied to an outcome that is beyond my control.  (I learned a long time ago that it is fun to dream about winning a lottery but don't act as if you have already won or get all caught up in the what if because the disappointments can be rough.  It is better to believe in yourself and becoming who you are and taking action on that.  You will go much further.)

For those that enjoy the chase, the hunt, the thrill, the excitement, may the bargains be all on your side of the store.  For the rest, sleep in if you can.  Extend the festivities of joy as long as you are able.  Either way, may you all have the best of Black Fridays.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farrwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment