Google
 

17 March 2008

Most cars bland

Most cars are bland and uninspired. The only reason for this as far as I can see is that most people are bland and uninspired. From the engineer to the customer we are lacking in innovation. Need too often overrides want when it comes to the cars we choose.

I am a car guy. I really like cars. I like to look at cars, I like to drive cars, I like to test cars, I like to talk about cars, I like to ride in cars. I like cars.

When I was much younger, it didn’t take much to get me excited about cars. I liked to look at anything on the road and imagine me behind the wheel someday. As I got older, I became for discerning and it took more and more to get my attention. Now it seems that 95% of what I see on the road holds no interest for me at all.

Part of this came from the cookie cutter look of so many of the cars out there. The current state of design has most cars looking pretty much like all the other cars. There are a few unique cars that are worthy of a glance if only because they are unique.

As cars age and you see fewer and fewer of a vintage on the road, its rarity makes it unique and you can find yourself taking a second look. This does not mean they are great cars or even good cars. The Pinto or Gremlin would fall into this category. They are not great but they do get noticed because they are unique.

Some people have lovingly kept the older models alive and well looked after and their pride shines forth. These kind of cars almost always garner a look. After all, you can tell a fellow car guy when you see one.

Then there are the exceptional models that have merit all on their own. These cars catch my eye no matter what year or what shape they are in. Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, Cobra and Pantera will always catch my eye, seeming by magic.

Of course there are other odd models and various brand offerings that do it for me also. Certain Mustangs, Cameros, and Firebirds will entice me but not all. Some of these were real dogs. Most of Toyota offerings look fairly bland as are most Japanese offerings on this side of the pond. Hondas looks come and go on their bread and butter machines, though I must admit that a CRX still gets me ever time.

So what is it that draws my attention the most? What is the common element that binds my fascination? It is the fun factor. If I find myself asking “How much fun would it be to drive that?” I know I will be taking a longer glance. For some cars this is the out and out aspect of performance but for most it is an appearance of the enjoyment factor. That is why the CRX is so high on the list and why a Suzuki Samurai rates well.

The standard for fun changes as you factor in affordability. Then all of a sudden real cars must stand for something and must deliver your needs within in your means. It is all fine to dream but I find out a long time ago that it is much more fun to be on the playing floor than watching from the bleachers. This is also were handling and gas mileage take precedence over looks and status. Besides, with our excess of traffic cops and arcane traffic laws I would just as soon go about my business unnoticed thank you very much.

I have been fortunate enough to have driven many cars and many miles. I still have a passion for it all. I would rather be driving than fixing, or washing, or mowing, or anything. Duty takes its toll though and so I must work to pay for the things I like to do. But if I am careful and choose well I will continue to enjoy what the automotive world has to offer. Maybe not always at the leading edge, but at least I am in the game.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farr West.

No comments:

Post a Comment