Google
 

25 March 2008

Office 2007 coming to my computer soon

Well I just got excited a little. I just got word today that the office is going to upgrade to Office 2007 in the next couple of months. I recently purchased a copy for my home computer since I was able to get a reasonable deal but I haven't yet loaded it. As soon as I do I will let you know how it goes but I am looking forward to it because the office announcement came with a couple of introductory training videos that make the new software sound like something worthwhile. It sounds like it will raise the power of the computer to a more usable and user friendly level.

There will be a l earning curve, I can tell right from the start. There always is with the newest versions, but this one looks to be pretty intuitive. I builds well from the past so that power users should be able to adopt quickly while novices will find new ways of doing things that will make them look like an old pro.

The ability to easily format documents from word, excel, and power point should receive a warm welcome from those that have experienced the struggle of trying to straighten out and rearrange their work only to get to the point of starting over in frustration . In fact the demo I saw made it look like it should be a piece of cake to create production value documents as easily as completing a game of solitaire.

The compatibility issues actually appear to have been thought of before hand. I only hope that the have let Excel data input become as easy as Lotus 123 used to be. Those that remember Lotus 123 back when it was the standard will recall that it was pretty well designed for those that had a lot of data to enter manually. When Excel came along it adopted (borrowed?) much that was good in 123 but had to change somethings, and sadly data entry was one of them. There is a option setting that you can change so that it will mimic 123 and it works for most things, but I always have to switch it on and off when changing to formulas and entering dates.

I want to get started soon learning this new app so that I will be way ahead of everyone else in the office when the time comes. There is a certain satisfaction to being the local computer guru even if it is only for a little while.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farr West.

No comments:

Post a Comment