Google
 

12 March 2008

A quick trip to Fort Worth

Just flew back from a quick trip to Fort Worth on American Airlines. It was a typical trip with some good points and some not so good points. I did want to mention that on the flight out I was treated to a question that is not asked very often. Do you want you orange juice with ice or without? I do not care for ice as a rule. I don't like the way it hits my lips and teeth or they way it always seems to come crashing down on you when you are getting close to the bottom of the glass so when someone ask me if I want ice or not, it is a real treat.

The second treat factor was when he offered not only one glass but a second glass of orange juice. I gladly accepted. I don't travel as well as I would like all the time, and part of the secret of a good trip is to stay well hydrated. I usually drink Ginger Ale when I am flying because true ginger has motion soothing qualities but with my stomach acting up and fighting a cold I thought I would forgo the carbonation and head for the vitamin C. It hit the spot.

Whoever you were, I wish I would have caught your name to give credit where credit is due. Thanks for the kindness. Little things truly do mean a lot. Especially in comparison to the flight from last week. And just to let you know, this act of kindness was not the norm because on the flight home we were back to the glass of ice with a dash of orange juice.

Like I said this was a quick trip but it included enough time for me to sneak in a side trip to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to watch our money being made. This is another check off from my list of things I have always wanted to do. It was very interesting and well worth the trip. I even got to see the new $5 bill on the production floor before its release tomorrow. They are working on a new $100 bill but that won't debut for awhile and was hidden from view by curtains so we will just have to wait and watch for the coming announcement.

Though it costs less than ten cents to produce a monetary note, they will charge you up to 5 times its face value when they stick it in a fancy wrapper and sell it in the gift shop. The power of collectibles is truly amazing.

If you are in the area and have an interest I can recommend the tour. Also, if you are in Denver, stop into the mint and watch them make coins. With increase security it pays to arrive early because you will go through a screening like at the airport. Also, during the busy season you may have to sign up for the tour in advance to make sure you can get in. Since I was solo this run I was able to fit in with a group of elementary school students out on a field trip. The kids seem to be enjoying the tour almost as much as I did.

There is still a lot of this great country for me to see and I intend to see as much of it as I can. Who knows, we might run into each other out there on the road.

This is Ed Nef with a view from the Farr West.

No comments:

Post a Comment